This guide was designed and launched by a Pennsylvania reporter, with input from working reporters and editors in Pennsylvania, under the sponsorship of the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association. Your input is welcome to keep this tool as useful and efficient as it can be.
If you have a suggestion or a reaction to another reader’s comments, please enter it in the “Leave a Reply” section of the appropriate page. Include your name and the name of your newspaper, if you wish, so that you can be credited for your contribution in future revisions.
For help in preparing this guide and making it available to reporters, the author thanks the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association for sponsoring this project, the Governor’s Center for Local Government and the Pennsylvania Department of Education for providing much of the material, and the following individuals throughout the commonwealth who donated their time and expertise:
- Shippensburg University Department of Communications/ Journalism, Shippensburg, PA; and particularly, Dr. Michael Drager, academic adviser.
- Rebecca VanderMeulen, freelance reporter, Downingtown, PA.
- Dale Heberlig, reporter, The Sentinel, Carlisle, PA; and Shippensburg Sentinel, Shippensburg, PA.
- Deborah Westover, business manager, Shippensburg Area School District, Shippensburg, PA.
- Earl Parshall, borough manager, Borough of Shippensburg, Shippensburg, PA
- Danny Forrester, Eugene F. Mellinger and Curtis Myers, township supervisors, Hopewell Township, Newburg, PA
- Marijon Shearer, graduate student, Shippensburg University Department of Communications/ Journalism, author of this guide.